Associate opportunity – social impact measurement
CAN Invest is seeking freelance consultants to support growing demand for our social impact consultancy.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with the CAN Invest team to complete discrete pieces of work on behalf of our expanding list of charity and social enterprise clients. Depending on performance, further opportunities for work with CAN Invest will likely be available, both in our social impact consultancy, and on our business readiness and investment readiness programmes for VCSEs.
Based on our strong pipeline of clients, we expect to require 2-10 days of consultancy work per client, depending on exact timings/requirements, for several clients between February – April 2017. The major deliverables would be:
* Desk research and reports summarising the evidence-base of the impact/effectiveness of services delivered by charities and social enterprises
* Measurement framework, including appropriate indicators for organisations to measure outcomes and social impact for their users and other stakeholders
* Developing and deploying surveys for beneficiaries of social interventions
Skills and experience required
* Understanding of social impact and social impact measurement, and/or ESG reporting
* Experience undertaking academic literature reviews and/or desk research to evidence impact of public or non-profit services
* Self-starter and solution-orientated attitude
* Able to work in an entrepreneurial environment and be both proactive and able to deliver results without close supervision.
* Consulting experience with charities, social enterprises, and/or other non-profit organisations
* Writing impact and/or evidence reports for non-professional audiences
* Developing questionnaires/survey instruments targeting marginalised groups
* Graduate-level quantitative and qualitative social science research experience
Please send an email/cover letter (max 1-page) and your CV to Rohan Martyres, Director Impact & Investment, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 5th February 2017. Your email/letter should outline your relevant experience, your time availability between now and May 2017, and your consultancy day rate.
CAN is one of the UK’s leading charities that trade as a social enterprise.
Our vision is of a social economy buoyed by a thriving social enterprise market. Our mission is to help entrepreneurial charities and social enterprises achieve it, by offering premises, skills and finance.
Through CAN Mezzanine, we are the leading charity provider of fully-serviced office space in London. Through 5 buildings we are home to ca.1,400 people at 150 social-purpose organisations working and collaborative for social change.
Through CAN Invest, we offer innovative funding and impact readiness services, including
* Social investment funds at terms in demand by VCSEs. We have a history of managing innovative, niche investment funds, including venture philanthropy, blended capital and small loans funds. Our CAN Early Intervention loan fund currently offers unsecured loans of up to £100k to VCSEs working with children and young people in London.
* We provide impact readiness and business readiness services to help established UK-based charities and social enterprises to deepen their sustainability and maximise their impact. We focus on capacity-building and helping organisations on the journey from proving their impact to managing and efficiently improving their impact in pursuit of their social missions.
CAN is also an active participant in building and supporting the UK social enterprise sector. We co-founded UnLtd, the £100m Millennium Endowment and Foundation for Social Entrepreneurs, and SEUK, the umbrella body for social enterprise in the UK.
CAN is the trading name of the Bright Red Dot Foundation Limited, a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (No. 3635124) and a registered charity (No.1075749).